Monday, March 29, 2010

The Only World There Was...

When I drank, the only world there was, was alcohol. I drank until I blacked out and would continue drinking until I passed out. "More" is the only word I knew. "More" until I blacked out and then still more until my body would shut down and I passed out.
Somehow, even then, "more" was not enough.
My disease was never satisfied: When there was nothing else, there was always "more".
More is everything... and nothing.
When I drank, the only world there was, was alcohol.

from "All Drinking Aside: The Destruction, Deconstruction and Reconstruction of an Alcoholic Animal", Chapter 47 (rough draft)

e-info: moonshine2sunshine@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. Love your words Jim. As thought-provoking as it gets. I'm not an alcoholic, but need "more" in other aspects of my life. It's amazing how "more" is never enough. There are appetites and desires that just can't seem to be satisfied.
    Now as for "The Dipper"...he dips his entire body while doing the weather forecast on Channel 4. Not sure of his last Halloween costume, but I have seen stains on his trousers! I'm not elaborating on that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when less is more, nothing is everything.

    ReplyDelete