Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"

The present informs my past. I remember standing inside the Rodin Museum, not far from Philadelphia's Art Museum. Frozen in my alcoholism, like an insect trapped in amber, its destructive powers gave me a certain strength. Entrapment, the permanence of my disease, gave me an insane sense of indestructibility.
Dying from my disease, that is what I might have known of eternity, what I should have felt, if I could have felt. The present informs my past.
There is a connection here. The god of alcohol led me to the god of frozen yogurt.
"I feel like a piece of burnt toast dropped on a shag carpet landing butter side up."
That is how I felt when the Librium wore off.

from "All Drinking Aside: The Destruction, Deconstruction and Reconstruction of An Alcoholic Animal," Chapter 55 (rough draft). To see all related entries, click on "Alcoholism" after the word "LABELS," below. e-mail inquiries to moonshine2sunshine@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment