Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Myth of Sisyphus


The myth of Sisyphus, that eternal hell of pushing the exact same rock up the exact same hill, only to watch it roll all the way back down every time. There's a whole lot of hell going on there, but at least Sisyphus knew the score.
With alcoholism, I had too much at stake to admit this reality. The Legacy Effect: I had too much at stake. I had to put a higher worth on my worthless efforts. Protect what was destroying me because my identity was immersed in alcohol.
I wonder if Sisyphus drank?
Rolling Rock, no doubt.
from "All Drinking Aside: The Destruction, Deconstruction and Reconstruction of an Alcoholic Animal," Chapter 50 (rough draft)

2 comments:

  1. Rolling Rock! I love it!

    As for "The Legacy Effect": so true, in ways beyond alcoholism. Becoming invested in a new way of life can be much like rolling Sisyphus's rock up the hill: every minor setback seems to call to the old ways. If i weren't privy to the success of others, i could never keep pushing my rock, but lo! Upon surrounding hillsides, men and women sit atop them on their solidly standing boulders...at peace. I watch some still struggle up hills. Only by their example do i come to believe that i might be successful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, Randall (now that i figured out who you are), I didn't take you as a beer drinker.

    ReplyDelete